Monday, August 11, 2014

More Zucchini Noodles--with Clam Sauce this time

Mostly what I'm having is a semi-miserable day...but that's not a positive starting point. What I assumed was an allergy attack may actually be a cold. I don't recall being around anyone with a cold, & even if I had been, I'm not usually one of those people who gets whatever's "going around." But here I am, sniffling, blowing my nose, etc. Ugh.

After slogging my way through today's To Do list, comfort food seemed called for. I decided to see how well zucchini noodles pair with one of my favorite really simple comfort foods--clam sauce (with linguini.)

The verdict? Not bad at all.

A colander full of zucchini noodles is becoming a familiar sight.


Here's the finished product. Recipe below,


Sliced Brandywines needed NO accompaniment. Just slice & serve.


We usually split an ear of corn. I like to put the tiniest bit of butter & some salt on a plate & use tongs to roll the ears in the salty butter.


Here's my plate: tomatoes corn, zucchini noodles with clam sauce, & just a bit of bread so none of those clam sauce juices go unsopped.


An aside: Not a gadget person, but I've started using my citrus juicer (a gift!) even for just one lemon as this recipe called for. You get so much more juice than with hands, & the juicer is so easy to clean. Nothing fancy, but it works great.


You can find clam sauce recipes all over the place, but this is the one my friend Judy McCarthy uses, which guarantees its goodness. Follow the recipe. Just use zucchini noodles instead of linguini. No pasta water or other liquid. needed.

Zucchini noodles yet another way. That's what we're having.

Clam Sauce & Linguini

8 ounces Dry Linguine
1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 whole Large Shallot, Minced
3 cans (6.5 Oz. Size) Clams, Drained With 1/2 Cup Juice Reserved
1 whole Lemon, Juiced
¼ teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes
½ cups Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
Minced Parsley, For Garnish

Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When hot, add the minced shallots and saute for about 5 minutes, until very soft. Add the drained clams and continue cooking for another 4-5 minutes.

Add the 1/2 cup reserved clam juice, lemon juice and red pepper flakes to the skillet. Bring mixture to a boil, then simmer for 3 minutes.

Add hot cooked linguine to the pan and toss well with the sauce. Divide amongst plates and top each dish with Parmesan cheese and minced parsley (optional).




No comments:

Post a Comment