Sunday, December 16, 2012

Savory French Toast with Marinara Sauce & Fried Eggs

This was a quick & easy brunch dish, inspired by what I happened to have on hand.

Savory French Toast Topped with Marinara Sauce and Fried Egg.


Start with the marinara sauce. I used plain old tomato sauce jazzed up with a lot of savory herbs.


I sliced off a couple of patties of soysage to have as a side. I like to perk these up with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes as they cook.


Next up: the French toast made with leftover Tuscan bread. Dip the bread in a mix of eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and grated Parmesan. Then coat each side with some more grated Parmesan. Fry until browned on both sides. It doesn't take long. The Parmesan browns nicely.

You don't want to make the eggs until everything else is ready and waiting. I popped the sauce, soysage, and toast into the warming drawer while I made the eggs.


To read about various techniques for creating the perfect fried egg, the information at this link is helpful.

Perfect Fried Eggs

I use a combination of some of the techniques described in the article. I use a mix of olive oil and butter and add the eggs while the butter is melting. I crack each egg into a saucer before sliding it into the pan. I'm not sure why the softer landing helps, but it does. I swirl the pan a bit to set the eggs then I cover the pan with a glass lid and cook over medium heat. I like them over easy--very briefly. Flip the egg and turn off the burner.

Quickly assemble the dish: Top a slice of toast with marinara sauce and then top with an egg.


A quick & easy brunch--That's what we're having.

2 comments:

  1. Gay, that looks awesome! Going to try over the holidays. With a mimosa, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will cook it for you--you and Alan can have mimosas while you wait. It's similar to Eggs in Purgatory. The difference is the savory, Parmesan-studded toast. Recommend!

    ReplyDelete